This month’s Daring Bakers challenge came from Great Cakes: Over 250 Recipes to Bake, Share, and Enjoy by Carole Walter. I made this month’s challenge for the Daring Bakers twice! The recipe was quite a challenge to make in the summertime even in my air conditioned kitchen. The whipped cream, buttercream, and ganache kept melting in the heat! I made a filbert gateau with raspberry buttercream because I had one bag of hazelnut meal and not enough to spare to make a praline buttercream. AND I could not find whole hazelnuts anywhere! The second time I made the cake I used an 8 inch pan, but was still unable to cut three layers. I swear I did not deflate the egg whites! Maybe I wasn’t daring enough? Hmmm… All in all it was a good challenge, but the end result was just not my thing. I made it again just to be sure! I really learned a lot from making this recipe and it has given me tons of great ideas. Thank you Mele Cotte for a great challenge! You can find the recipe for the Filbert Gateau on her fantastic food blog.
My changes to the recipe:
1) I used an 8 inch springfrom pan.
2) I flavored the cake with raspberries.
3) I replaced the cake flour with 1/3 cup tapioca flour and 1/4 cup of rice flour with 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
4) I used the swiss buttercream recipe that was called for but added 1/2 cup whole raspberries and 1/4 cup seedless raspberry preserves instead of doing a praline (I ran out of hazelnuts!)
5) I used commercially ground hazelnut meal- 2 cups minus 1 Tablespoon.
Go find some more renditions of the Filbert Gateau by Carole Walter by visiting the Daring Bakers Blogroll.